At least 57 Detroit-area primary and secondary students at 15 buildings are in Michigan's latest tally of "school clusters and outbreaks" of coronavirus.
The state health department also lists 12 diagnoses during the past week among football players at Lawrence Technological University in Southfield. Statewide, 428 new cases at 76 educational settings are listed.
Macomb County has just one site listed this week -- Amanda Moore Elementary School, with three student Covid cases since last Monday.
Oakland has 35 affected students at nine schools, including three Walled Lake sites.
Wayne has 19 student cases at five schools, plus four staff and student cases at Chandler Park Academy High School in Harper Woods (with no breakdown of how many are in each category).
Here are Oakland's listed sites and the five other Wayne buildings affected:
- Walled Lake: St. William Catholic School, 6 students | Central High, 3 students | Wixom Elementary, 3 pupils
- Lake Orion: Webber Elementary, 5 pupils
- Southfield: McIntyre Elementary, 5 pupils | Bradford Academy, 3 elementary pupils
- Oak Park: Norup International Academy, 4 elementary pupils
- Wixom: Loon Lake Elementary, 3 pupils
- Beverly Hills: Beverly Elementary, 3 pupils
- Canton Township: South Canton Scholars Charter Academy, 6 elementary pupils | Salem High, 3 students
- Dearborn: Nowlin Elementary, 4 pupils
- Harper Woods: Chandler Park Academy High, 4 staff and students
- Northville: Northville High, 3 students
- Taylor: Robert West Middle School, 3 students
At Lawrence Tech's website, the university says it has seven "active cases," including four among students living on campus. Eight other students are in quarantine status because of possible exposure to Covid.
The weekly Department of Health and Human Services list combines data for "outbreaks" and "clusters," which it defines this way: "A school-associated outbreak classification relies on confirming exposure linkages between cases, while a school-associated cluster classification accounts for cases where a definitive exposure linkage has not been established."
-- Alan Stamm